[Sem] I want to use the SEM

Chris Murphy chrisnoisebridge at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 09:18:51 UTC 2011

James,

The SEM has been ignored all summer. It does get used but those of us
that are familiar with it realize it needs some new features. It's
functions properly but it needs the following (from the web site):

  How to mitigate vibration:
Measure and pinpoint vibration sources
Dampen vibration from the rough pump-line by one of these methods:
routing it through a concrete block and adding a hose extension,
sandbag the existing line, or utilize water as a mass.
Hang the column from the ceiling with bungee cord and platform
Potentially relocate the microscope to the server room to diminish
dust and increase distance from Mission St.
Create spring clamping specimen slug to keep the specimen from moving.

Point number 2 is a great project to take on. We need some more vacuum
hose similar to what emerges from the rough pump. Then we need some
pipe and hose fittings that will be encased in a concrete block. The
concrete is poured into a double walled cardboard box with the pipe
passing through it. The hoses are then hooked up to either end of the
pipe. As vibration travels from the pump, up the hose, it will be
absorbed by the large mass of concrete. This will clarify the image at
high magnification by dampening vibration from the rough pump that is
presently transmitted to the specimen.

This advice was imparted to the team from Larry.

Thanks for your interest. There are several like-minded individuals
that should come around in the fall. Sorry for the long delay in my
reply.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone