[Sem] Retaining the SEM and building a sputter coater

Jeff Miller mysterylectricity at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 07:08:02 UTC 2013

Well it's a bit of a catch-22. As long as there's ongoing interest in the SEM and we can keep it and the space free from decay, the SEM can stay. If it's underutilized and falls into disrepair, it should go somewhere it might be better appreciated.

I haven't seen the space lately but it sounds finished enough.

I think we should put the priority on building a sputter coater. It should be fairly simple to do. I've seen some pretty poor designs on YouTube that still sort of work. I think we could build a pretty nice one over 2 or 3 months of weekends, tops.

Probably <$100 in parts that we can't scrounge or make for something quite nice.

I'll be looking at commercial designs this week and try to come up with some plans this week and next.

-Jeff