[Sewing] straight stitch is busted

Rachel McConnell rachel at xtreme.com
Tue Oct 5 23:07:49 UTC 2010

I'll take a look tonight, see if I can figure out what's wrong.  If not
I'll give Billy a call tomorrow.

The flat-sided needles aren't supposed to be the right kind.  I compared
one to one of the proper sort recently by eye and concluded that they
were similar enough it would be worth trying the flat-sided ones in a
pinch, but the tolerances are small enough that eyeballing it isn't good
enough so I'm not actually confident they'd work.

Last time I used the machine was Wednesday; it had a needle in it that
hadn't been shoved all the way into the holder and was therefore hitting
the bobbin trace whenever a stitch was attempted.  It worked fine when I
reseated the needle (although the tip, of course, was broken).

I also adjusted the knee lever for the presser foot, which had come
loose.  It's pretty thoroughly stripped at one place and could use a
better repair.  I have an idea about this but haven't done it yet.

ALSO: We could use more needles!  If anyone wants to get any please see
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Sewing, I have edited it with needle info.

Rachel M