[nb-soc] last week's todos, this week's meeting

Michael C. Toren mct at toren.net
Tue Jul 26 20:44:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 07:13:13AM -0700, miloh wrote:
> Mike Kahn and I fixed up the WYSE box/Door opener to trigger a parallel
> input when someone presses the buzzer downstairs.  Right now,
> /usr/local/bin/open-door just opens the door by running a high voltage
> on parallel port pin 6.  Now I need someone to help me get parallel port
> 13 to read every 10 seconds for a low (normally high) and get the data
> to a count logger, noisedoor, and irc.
>
> The idea behind this is: take this quantitative 'busy door' data
> (mondays, tuesdays, and wednesdays) and plug it into our grant funding
> and grantmaking apparatchki...

I can help you write a program to poll the parallel port periodically.
(You mentioned polling every 10 seconds.  Did you add any circuitry to
hold the signal low for that long, so that we don't need to poll it more
frequently?)  We may need to also modify the open-door.c program, so the
two don't interfere with one another.

Let's talk about this tonight.

> Lets cycle meeting days to suprise folks that think the only noisebridge
> procedurals are on Tuesday (and to allow for attendance from those who
> cant make it on Tuesdays).

One advantage of Tuesday is that so many of us are already there for the
meeting.

-mct