[Space] Debriefing Notes

nils at shkoo.com nils at shkoo.com
Thu Feb 11 00:57:27 UTC 2010

Here are my thoughts on the APRS problems:

It sounds like the transmit antenna was mounted horozontally.  This would
make it very difficult for the digipeaters to pick up the signal, since
most everything uses vertical polarization.  The difference in signal is
on the order of tens of dB (reference
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antenna_%28radio%29#Polarization).

Also with a horozontal antenna, you would only be broadcasting to a strip
on the ground, and half the transmission is sent off into space.  With a
vertical antenna you send the signal in all (horozontal) direcitons.

Also, the APRS packet takes about a second to transmit.  If the payload is
rotating rapidly during that time, the coverage area of the transmitter
will change so it'll be less likely any one digipeater will see the whole
packet.

-nils