[Space] Inner Space

Mikolaj Habryn dichro at rcpt.to
Mon Feb 22 02:26:56 UTC 2010

This is (yet) another thing that I'm very interested in. The new
hotness (where "new" is about a decade old) is underwater gliders,
which have a mechanical method for changing their buoyancy between
very slightly positive to very slightly negative and back, and use
aerodynamic (well, hydrodynamic) surfaces to convert this to lateral
motion. Recent research projects have crossed oceans - taking months
to do so, in fairness, but nonetheless.

They usually check in with satellites every few cycles by breaching
and also taking the opportunity to recharge batteries via solar cells.
I find the whole thing utterly fascinating, but it's substantially
harder than balloons (although much easier than orbit).

m.