[Space] update

Mikolaj Habryn dichro at rcpt.to
Sun Feb 7 08:21:54 UTC 2010

Excellent news :) How much did the battery go down during the drive?

On the camera front, while I'm in-zen-tune with CHDK, here's detailed
instructions for the A700 (which I'm going to forget by tomorrow):

Turn camera on.
Make sure the mode switch is set to record, not playback.
Observe some fields (including time) displayed in red text on blue
background in the top right corner - if they aren't there, CHDK isn't
loaded; make sure the SD card write protect switch is set (CHDK
overrides the write protection when saving images), start again from
top.
Press the print button (switches to CHDK command mode - hold it down
for a second or so to register)
The word 'Intervalometer' should appear at the bottom left (the active
script name) - if it doesn't, then press menu to bring up menus and
work out how to load the script (exercise for the student).
Having confirmed that Intervalometer is loaded:
  press the print button again to disable command mode
  press display repeatedly until the display turns off (led on top
will stay green)
  press print button for command mode
  press the shutter button once to start the script

At this point the LEDs next to the viewfinder should flash, the blue
led on the print button will light up, and you'll eventually hear a
shutter click. If the blue led doesn't light, the camera didn't
register the change into command mode - cycle the display on again and
retry. Otherwise, hang around for 30 seconds to make sure they do it
again. Install in payload.

We have the option of using a fisheye lens on the front. I kinda like
the effect artistically and it probably makes sense to get the extra
visual range at the cost of the corner pixels, but very open to
suggestions from anyone more knowledgeable and/or opinionated about
photography. Examples of each pointed in roughly the same direction
attached.

m.