[Tastebridge] [Noisebridge-discuss] take it easy, it is just an another situation to learn from

algoldor at frantisekapfelbeck.org algoldor at frantisekapfelbeck.org
Thu Apr 21 21:04:18 UTC 2011

Greetings to all!
I think that Rubin's email is kind of saying what I mean, some of his
suggestions are very "fresh ones" but that is the reason why I like
them. He uses open approach, with hammer in his hand sometimes but
open ...

I send close emails to people if I think that it is better to discuss
things with them first off the list, it is a usual practice done by
many Noisebridge members who I value. I do not have a problem if
someone posts my emails, I hope I'm clear here. To be absolutely
honest I meant to send it to discuss too but I've failed, not for the
first time.

I do express my opinion if I do not agree with something. I'm trying
not to let things happen if I believe it is not a good idea. Your post
saying basically "I'm closing the donation box if you want a key you
can talk to me" without discussing this option on Noisebridge or
Tastebridge mailing list is not as good as it could be. It is not just
me who is not at SF just right now, Fabian, Benni, Josh and others are
now also away and I think that they should have a chance to say what
they think about it too.

Concerning where the money stays. I've found that to have larger
quantities of money out of sight works fine because as I've said
before "no temptation". Think of Noisebridge in a larger scale, most
of the time no keys to donation bins and no large amounts of money in
them, money sits somewhere safe. It seems to me fine and it works. If
there are for the last few months locks on the jars I hope it is just
temporary and I doubt there are on all donation bins in the space.

If my comments are not welcomed I'm sorry but I do believe this is an
important matter and I really hope that another than "lock them out"
option is going to be used. I should maybe not use the phrasing that I
do not want to interfere, my fault, sorry. I do want to interfere.

I think that you take this personally. I can ensure you that if Mitch
posted that he wants to lock the Tastebridge donation bin I would ask
him to try another solution.

If I did not make you realise what I'm talking about I'm sorry. I've
tried but your points of view on this matter may be too different, we
should wait and see what the community thinks of it. If they are fine
with closed box I'll be not particularly happy but I think that I can
live with it.

Peace and love,

Frantisek

PS If you think that the tricks which I've used to secure the budget
for Tastebridge would not work now because of what ever reasons (time,
amount of people involved etc.) try something else. All what I ask is
to leave the box closure as the last possible solution.

RUBIN'S EMAIL

I for one see this as a message from a higher being, telling us that
kombucha is a source of evil that will eventually consume Noisebridge in
a fury of fermented tea and bacteria growth that has the consistency of ham.

OR there are a growing number of interesting people inhabiting
(infesting?) the space that no one has stopped to inform them who we
are, what we do, and how we operate as a group.

Note 1: Noisebridge operates well when it isn't taken advantage of.

Note 2: It's easy to take advantage of something when you don't
understand (or when no one has introduced you to the concept).

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net

Hi Frantisek,

Please explain something to me: In your opinion, what is the
difference between having somebody take the money home (a treasurer)
and having a box in the space that anyone may have a key to? It's also
a little hard to take your talk of openness seriously when it's only
happening in closed emails.

You're not just interfering, you're trying to run the show, and it's
not unwelcome. Please stop.

/Rikke

P.S.: Thanks for the offer, but we've already got a hook-up through Om
Shan Tea House, so I think we'll be alright.