[Tastebridge] Invitation to join bio at lists.noisebridge.net

Rikke Rasmussen rikke.c.rasmussen at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 01:17:27 UTC 2011

Hi Frantisek,

First, my deepest respect for your work on motivating, facilitating and
organizing 'Help Japan' - you do us all proud!

Conc. the birth of Biobridge, I'll try my best to sum up the situation and
our reasons for forming a new group, rather than expanding the activities of
Tastebridge. First off, the interest in the strictly biological aspects of
Tastebridge have been waning for quite a while - perhaps because of the lack
of expertise? - and we're now at the point where Sean and I are the only
ones who regularly do any kind of brewing or fermentation.

Since we both wanted to move towards more strictly scientific (and also
partially theoretical) activities, we started talking to other people about
the idea, and somewhere in those initial discussions, someone came up with
the name Biobridge and it stuck. Given that it is already a pretty active
group (we're working on a project called the
BioBoard<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/BioBoard>for the great
global hackerspace challenge), and that the name has been
widely publicized already via our
wiki<https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/BioBridge> and
project blog <http://www.element14.com/community/blogs/bioboardblog>, not
using it isn't really an option anymore.

You brought up two good points, though, so I'll just reiterate. 1) having
the biohacking activities (which might be controversial - don't think so,
but you never know) remain officially separate from the cooking and kombucha
(which are very popular) is probably a good way to ensure that controversy
doesn't spill over should it occur, and 2) having a name which clearly
signifies that DIYbio is the main focus is really useful for getting in
touch with other like-minded (groups of) individuals.

There is no split, merely expansion.

/Rikke