[Tastebridge] Stipticus

Roger H domitron at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 13 19:49:23 UTC 2011

Rikke, thanks for the kind words regarding my serendipity (as they say, there are two ways to be good, luck and talent; I guess I excel in the former).  So here is an update:  I prepped and cooked the first three bags of substrate (33 pounds) on Friday.  This time I was very cautious about pH and monitored it closely in all stages.  The substrate prior to prepping was pH-adjusted to 5.0 (down from around 5.5 drained from the mash).  Post cooking the substrate pH dropped to 4.5, something I did not expect nor understand.  Given the drop from cooking the substrate, I don't think I'll be adding any citric acid into the substrate for the remaining bags since the fermenting and cooking alone seems to drop the pH plenty low.  It's funny how I spent all this time learning that I could succeed if I just tried a little less hard - a true lesson in mushroom growing I guess.

The bags were inoculated 24 hours ago, and this morning I see some white hair-thin halos on a few specs of sawdust.  Although I'd need magnification to know for sure--I should get one of those jeweler's magnifiers!--the only phenomenon that I know that can create this appearance is mycelium growth, so I think everything is going to be fine.  Since there are already signs of growth after only 24 hours, the 4.5 pH must not be a problem at all.

Roger

PS - Given the pH drop I saw with cooking and how much citric acid I used to get a pH pre-cook of 3.8, it would not surprise me if the first set of bags had a pH of 3.2 or so.  That is probably just too low for the mycelium to tolerate.