[Tastebridge] how to end the ultimate evil - fruit flies?
algoldor at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 11:22:18 UTC 2012
Hi to all,
In a brewing laboratory where I'm active now a disaster occurred -
outbreak of the villain happened and we need to end up the reign of the
flying terror (honestly I actually do not really mind these rascals but
it got just way too far they are starting to aim for my cultures and
that is the end of the story).
I have summarized several solutions based on the source here (see at the end of the email)
any other suggestion would be appreciated!
By the way, would be there
some simple solution which would include some motion sensor and laser
beams? The manager is annoyed so much that I could actually get even a
budget for it (not that I have time for it but it would be cool). I was
wondering if just a motion sensor and fixed laser beam could do the job -
no aiming just wait when the fly tries to make it for, sensor switches
on the beam and “bum”, finished, history …. I do not know if I can activate laser beam so quickly, maybe? I have arduino and close to
zero knowledge how to use it but I’m progressing on that.
Thanks a lot for any help,
Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck
- prepare a bite for the traps: 150 ml of apple vinegar, 150 ml of
overripe fruit (bananas, apples etc.) and mix well, preferably let to
ferment at room temperature in a closed container for day or two
- set the traps:
- trap number 1: transfer 100 ml of the bite into the jar and attach a
paper cone to it, well sealed to the sides of the jar with big opening
on the outer side and very small opening closer to the bite, fruit flies will fly in but will not be able to escape. Once enough drosophila are
in, you can get them out of the place or to the “another world”.
- trap number 2: transfer 100 ml of the bite to the bowl and wrap the
bowl tightly in the plastic foil, make lots of small holes big enough
for the drosophila to enter but small enough that they can not escape.
Once enough drosophila are in, you can get them out of the place or to
the “another world”.
- trap number 3: add 20 g of dish soap to 100 ml of water in a bowl and
mix well, add 100 ml of bite and let to sit completely open attracting
the fruit flies. Flies will lend on the mix, and it will get sticked to
their wings so they can not fly away and they will drawn.
- to help to end the plague:
- keep your fruit and vegetable waste in the freezer
- keep all of your fruits, vegetables and juices well sealed and preferably in the refrigerator
- give the kitchen a thorough cleaning
- point a ventilator to your waste if you have to have it, so the flies can not land and keep the traps out of the air flow
- cut and attach 2 l plastic bottle to the vacuum and suck in all the
problem makers (I guess that you will have to cut both sites to a
- replace old sponges, mops and dishrags
- fix slow drains and keep plumbing and garbage disposals free of organic matter
biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker
"There is no way to peace, peace is the way." Ghandi
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Tastebridge