[Tastebridge] Hi all: I work at a bakery, so I have SO MUCH stale or burnt rye bread

Alexander Chemeris alexander.chemeris at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 07:23:11 UTC 2012

Hi Sonja,

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 2:31 AM, Sonja Trauss <sonja.trauss at gmail.com> wrote:
> ok cool. I will ask you for a recipe once I make a firm plan with Lewis and
> whoever else.

Sure.

> Actually, do you have a suggestion about the size of our first batch?

We usually do 5 liters or 10 liters at home. 5 liters is a good size
to start with, I think.

> how much bread should I stockpile?

You don't need tons for the first try :)

For 10 liters we use 1 loaf of the Russian black bread. It's weight is
usually 700 gram (when fresh). So for the 5 liters you need the half
of that.

> does it NEED to be stale?

No. But you should dry it before the use.

We usually buy a fresh loaf, cut it into pieces similar to french
fries (about 1cm in diameter) and then dry then in an oven.

> some of it might be quite fresh, but burnt.

That's good - see above.
Burnt pieces will give a nive brown color to the kvass and give it
more vivid taste. When we do kvass at home we ususally burn a few
pieces of bread artificially.

> How old can it be?

Doesn't matter, until it doesn't have mold and smells fine.

> Thanks, this will be awesome if it works. Currently we throw out tons of
> bread, and kvass is so delicious.

Good way to re-use the bread!

Just notice, that if you buy kvass in a shop, it's most likely made
from wort instead of bread. Bread kvass has a bit different taste and
is more carbonated.

PS Someone should scrap this info to some wiki..

--
Regards,
Alexander Chemeris.