[Toorcamp] Camp infrastructure

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Tue Jun 16 11:57:05 UTC 2009

First and foremost I would like to point out this page...

http://wiki.toorcamp.org/wiki/FAQ

If you haven't done desert camping, thinking of bringing everything
you'll need for a few days, including water, food, tp, etc.

-- Kitchen
* Do we need/want one? That is a shade structure that'll block the wind
and sun, with places to cook and clean things.
* I'm planning on bringing my own ultralight camping stove and pots with
a very limited supply of fuel for myself. I saw a camp stove at 83c abut
a month ago, wonder if its still there.
* Water, I would recommend 1-2 gallons per day per person (I'd say 6
gallons per person for the whole event would work well). I have one 13
gallon container and one 8 gallon container that I wouldn't mind sharing
if others can deal with hauling it in/out. I have one more 13 gallon
container that is missing in action, will try to track down.
* Should we setup a means to deal with gray water, pack it out?

-- Shade structures
http://www.wunderground.com/US/WA/Moses_Lake.html
Highs in the mid 80s to low 90s, winds of up to 20mph. Lows in the 50s
at night, and also in the silo. Some posts on the Google Group says
highs up to 100 during that time of the year. Bring sun screen if you're
whiter then me.

* I have a Monkeyhut (http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/), if it
doesn't go out to 4th of Juplaya I am thinking of bringing it to Toor
for my own tent and possibly to share with someone else.
* Through Ardent I have access to a number of Costco carports. Here's a
photo of David standing in one.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mooflyfoof/236644786/
If we want 1 (maybe 2) it shouldn't be a problem to borrow. Someone with
a car would have to show up at NIMBY and we'd need to do an inspection
to make sure we have all of the parts.
* I have a lawn chair that I may or may not bring.
* Lighting, I think it best to just bring our own individual lights.

-- Power
It sounds like unless our camp requests it directly, we will be
powerless. Anyone got any renewable energy hookups? Solar? Wind?

Jake: Have you made a request for power?

-- Tents
After a quick glance at their Google Group, it sounds like the ground is
soft and slightly muddy. With the wind picking up to about 20mph, I
would recommend folks bring rebar for stakes and tarps to put under
their tents.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net