[Toorcamp] Camp infrastructure

John Menerick john.menerick at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 21:49:09 UTC 2009

See comments inline
On Jun 16, 2009, at 4:57 AM, Rubin Abdi wrote:

> First and foremost I would like to point out this page...
>
> http://wiki.toorcamp.org/wiki/FAQ
>
> If you haven't done desert camping, thinking of bringing everything
> you'll need for a few days, including water, food, tp, etc.
>
> -- Kitchen
> * Do we need/want one? That is a shade structure that'll block the
> wind
> and sun, with places to cook and clean things.

I'm not planning on it.  I would help set up/tear down if someone were
to bring one

> * I'm planning on bringing my own ultralight camping stove and pots
> with
> a very limited supply of fuel for myself. I saw a camp stove at 83c
> abut
> a month ago, wonder if its still there.

I plan on doing the same.

> * Water, I would recommend 1-2 gallons per day per person (I'd say 6
> gallons per person for the whole event would work well). I have one 13
> gallon container and one 8 gallon container that I wouldn't mind
> sharing
> if others can deal with hauling it in/out. I have one more 13 gallon
> container that is missing in action, will try to track down.

If we run out of water, if time permits, I'm willing to do a drive
into town to grab more water.

> * Should we setup a means to deal with gray water, pack it out?

It doesn't appear there will be an RV dump site on the location.  Not
sure how we want to deal with this.  I'm rather impartial.

> -- Shade structures
> http://www.wunderground.com/US/WA/Moses_Lake.html
> Highs in the mid 80s to low 90s, winds of up to 20mph. Lows in the 50s
> at night, and also in the silo. Some posts on the Google Group says
> highs up to 100 during that time of the year. Bring sun screen if
> you're
> whiter then me.
>
> * I have a Monkeyhut (http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/), if it
> doesn't go out to 4th of Juplaya I am thinking of bringing it to Toor
> for my own tent and possibly to share with someone else.
> * Through Ardent I have access to a number of Costco carports.
> Here's a
> photo of David standing in one.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mooflyfoof/236644786/
> If we want 1 (maybe 2) it shouldn't be a problem to borrow. Someone
> with
> a car would have to show up at NIMBY and we'd need to do an inspection
> to make sure we have all of the parts.

Right now, I should have the room to put it in the back of the car.

> * I have a lawn chair that I may or may not bring.
> * Lighting, I think it best to just bring our own individual lights.
>
> -- Power
> It sounds like unless our camp requests it directly, we will be
> powerless. Anyone got any renewable energy hookups? Solar? Wind?

A request for a single power extension would be nice.  I'm assuming
most of us will be bringing laptops and would like to charge them
during the night.