[tor] Friday hackathon (was: EFF tweet about noisetor)

Michael C. Toren mct at toren.net
Thu Aug 18 21:57:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 03:30:52PM -0700, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> We have a Noisetor hackathon scheduled for this Friday, let's wait until
> after that for our big promotional push.  I want to get our Cha-Ching
> integration live on tor.noisebridge.net and our node list live before
> pushing for promo material.

I'll still be in Europe on Friday, but some random items from my todo list:

    - Add PayPal links for people to subscribe to recurring donations.  I
      started looking into this, using the Noisebridge "pay dues" buttons
      on the wiki as a template.  It seems like perhaps the only difference
      is using the POST target of https://www.paypal.com/subscriptions
      rather than https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr, but there are
      likely some other CGI form parameters we need to tweak.  (Leif found
      a PayPal document somewhere that described these parameters.  Leif,
      can you send out a link, if you see this in time?)

    - We need to add some language that if people would like to donate,
      they *should* *not* send a random PayPal transaction to
      treasurer at noisebridge.net, but rather use the PayPal buttons on the
      website.  (Otherwise, they'll end up donating to the Noisebridge
      general fund, rather than sending a targeted donation to the
      Noisebridge Tor Project.)

    - We need to write a simple script that parses PayPal emails to
      treasurer at noisebridge.net to search for Noisebridge Tor Project
      donations, and then Does Something(tm).  (Weekly email to
      treasurer at noisebridge.net?  Writes to a password-protected website
      for the Treasurer and Project Bookkeeper to examine?)

    - Update the masthead/logo with the one Rubin made.

    - Jake mentioned that we should not link to
      http://torstatus.blutmagie.de/, which is going to disappear at some
      point, but instead link to something like
      http://metrics.torproject.org/relay-search.html?search=noisebridge

(This list should probably be tracked on the wiki somewhere.  Anyone want
to create a page for it somewhere?)

I'm sorry I'll miss the hackathon!  Let me know how it goes. :-)

-mct