[tor] Wikimedia decommissioned servers

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Tue Oct 11 20:59:55 UTC 2011

aestetix aestetix wrote, On 2011-10-11 13:04:
> Way back earlier this year, when the project was in its infancy, Wikimedia
> announced they were looking for good places to donate old servers.
>
> http://blog.wikimedia.org/2010/02/16/server-decommissioning-donations/
>
> I sent them a request a while ago. Months later, I just got a response from
> them. They want to donate six of their servers to Noisebridge, hopefully to
> the Noisetor project if possible. I went ahead and confirmed the donation
> because it seems like it could be useful, but just a heads up. I'll send the
> Fedex tracking number over the list when I get it.

Could you please take point if the machines don't get used? We're trying
desperately to not have the rack of shit servers people forgot about
happen at Noisebridge. I don't think Ben nor I want to spend time
cleaning up after machines you've installed and forgotten about again.

Also I think machines for Noisetor are great, but at the same time isn't
the point that we want this as streamlined as possible, don't want to
deal with maintaining the physical machines ourselves? Tor in the cloud
and all that?

Thanks.

--
Rubin