[tor] first node is active in relay-only mode

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Sun Sep 11 22:27:41 UTC 2011

We have our first node up and running, in non-exit mode.  We're still
fine-tuning the configuration and haven't completed our abuse
complaint-handling system yet, so in the interest of not causing extra
work for others we are not allowing exit mode yet.

Thanks to everyone who's gotten us this far!

>From IRC, here's the current project todo list:

15:11 <@radii> OK, I've registered noisetor.net with gandi and set up
               tor.noisebridge.net as the DNS master.
15:11 <@radii> I'm going offline now, but I'll be back around 5 PM and continue
               DNS at that point.
15:12 <@radii> I guess we want http://noisetor.net to redirect to
               tor.noisebridge.net.
15:13 <@radii> I did a separate domain because of the evident risk that people
               will see exit-01.tor.noisebridge.net and go harass addresses
               @noisebridge.net rather than properly bothering
               tor.noisebridge.net addresses.
15:13 <@radii> todo list:
15:14 <@radii> 1. set up PTR records on quadranet
15:14 <@radii> 2. set up SWIP with quadranet
15:14 <@radii> 3. make sure http, smtp, and DNS are all working right for both
               tor.noisebridge.net and noisetor.net
15:14 <@radii> 4. set up A records for exit-01
15:15 <@radii> 5. set up http redirect
15:15 <@radii> 6. set up SSL cert for noisetor.net (gandi gives us a free cert
               for registering with them)
15:16 <@radii> 7. buy SSL cert for tor.noisebridge.net (oops, requires
               SubjectAltName since there are two domains)
15:17 <@radii> 8. set up an IRC bot @noisetorbot on tor.noisebridge.net to idle
               on this channel and tell us when stuff happens
15:17 <@radii> 9. once abuse@ , DNS PTR, and SWIP are working right, adjust the
               exit list on exit-01 to reenable
15:19 <@radii> 10. get reoccurring donations working right (this seems to
               require configuration on the Noisebridge paypal account, I
               haven't been able to get it working right)
15:20 <@radii> 11. steal the layout from
               https://www.torproject.org/donate/donate.html.en for our
               donations page
15:20 <@radii> 12. add more donation methods
15:20 <@radii> 13. figure out solutions to Kelly's concerns regarding accounting
15:21 <@radii> 14. big donations publicity push to get reoccurring donations to
               cover our run rate -- get EFF, Laughing Squid, Torservers, etc
               to promote us
15:22 <@radii> 15. make sure our Puppet configs actually implement what we
               deployed, I've hacked stuff up on exit-01 directly rather than
               properly automating it :( :( :( :(

-andy