[tor] Financial report from Kelly for the meeting tonigth

Noisebridge Treasurer treasurer at noisebridge.net
Thu Sep 29 15:53:07 UTC 2011

Apparently you somehow missed this discussion. The fees are in a
separate line item in our bookkeeping. More importantly, the fees are
not reflected at all in the email notifications paypal sends for
donations, which is what we're currently using for earmarking NoiseTor
funds.

So yeah, your model is mistaken. Here's how it goes:

Day 1:
+$100 donation for Tor
Email to treasurer at noisebridge.net alerts treasurer of $100 Tor donation
-$3.50 fee posts to paypal account
+$40 dues payment
Email to treasurer at noisebridge.net alerts treasurer of $40 dues
-$1.40 fee posts to paypal account

Day 2:
+$200 donation for Tor
Email to treasurer at noisebridge.net alerts treasurer of $200 Tor donation
-$7.00 fee posts to paypal account
+$80 dues payment
Email to treasurer at noisebridge.net alerts treasurer of $80 dues
-$2.80 fee posts to paypal account

Day 3:
Paypal balance is $405.30
Treasurer transfers $405.30 to Noisebridge's bank account.

Treasurer reconciles 8 paypal line items in bookkeeping. Line items
for fees do not consistently follow their associated donation (may be
grouped by business day etc) and may have no metadata identifying
their associated credit (depending on method of export to bookkeeping
software).

Paypal fees are reconciled as fees, Noisetor donations reconciled as
Noisetor, dues as dues.

Treasury records indicate that Noisetor donations amount to $300, so
working budget is $276.
Treasurer pays Noisetor ISP bill of $276 or less.
Noisetor donations technically amounted to net $289.50 ($275.02 after
5% to general fund) in this case but will probably vary.

-K