[tor] Adding another node

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Wed Aug 28 21:42:26 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 06:15:30AM +0200, Ben Kochie wrote:
> Sounds like something we could take over, but didn't we want to limit our
> impact on the network?

In addition to the points that Isis made, the overall network has grown
a bit since we first maxed out noiseexit01.  At one point we were 10% of
the total network exit traffic.  Today we're more like 5% and falling.

I'm comfortable with us providing up to 15% of exit bandwidth.  10% is a
sweet spot and 20% is a red flag, to me.

I'd prefer that the network get more diverse (I'd love to see some high
throughput Asia / Pacific exit nodes) but that's a separate issue from
the current question.

I'm also mildly concerned at the proposed centralization of exit
funding, so I'd like Noisetor to have enough individual donations that
we don't need to seek organized funding sources.  I'm not completely
opposed to organized funding, though, and I'd rather take nonprofit
money than cut back our services.

-andy