[tor] Project Still Active?

Steve Phillips steve at tryingtobeawesome.com
Sun Apr 19 03:34:49 UTC 2020

Hi James,

> Running an exit as an individual from a home connection is inadvisable for
> legal reasons based on my reading

Absolutely; don't run a Tor exit from home.

> I've played with the idea of setting up a VPS, but this doesn't really
> address my desire to help contribute exit bandwidth to Tor. I was able to
> find Noisetor after some searching.

Consider donating to noisetor.net and Tor exit bandwidth is exactly what
you will be increasing!

> Is Noisetor currently running any exits for the network, or was exit01
> shut down a while ago?

exit01 was shut down 1-2 years ago but exit02 will be up soon provided that
budgetary constraints do not prevent us from doing so; I think we'll be
good.

I visited RunARelay.org, and it lead me to Pulse Servers.

Yeah we summarized the information crowdsourced on
https://community.torproject.org/relay/community-resources/good-bad-isps/
so people don't need to dig through all that data, most of which is quite a
few years old anyway.

> I think the interface to the tool is very clean and is exactly the kind of
> resource I was looking for to see some smaller business hosting options; I
> suspect that it's not good for the network to have too many relays within
> the same datacenter or managed through the same provider.

Exactly, which is why the recommendations from RunARelay.org do not include
the hosting providers that Tor said not to use; at
https://community.torproject.org/relay/community-resources/good-bad-isps/
they say:

Try to avoid the following hosters:

    OVH SAS (AS16276)
    Online S.a.s. (AS12876)
    Hetzner Online GmbH (AS24940)
    DigitalOcean, LLC (AS14061)

> I'm very exited to see how Noisetor develops, and I will consider becoming
> a donor as well as I cannot personally contribute to exit bandwidth for the
> network.

Thanks for considering, James!  And if you have any recommendations for how
to make RunARelay.org better, I'm all ears.

About to add this feature where a user can receive the tutorial
instructions over SSH, which I'm hoping people will think is pretty awesome
and novel.  Plus we're implementing more of the interface design -- Tim
Sullivan did an amazing job -- and fixing a couple CSS bugs on the mobile
version.

Onward and upward,
--Steve