[tor] Project Still Active?

James marsrover7 at fastmail.com
Sat Apr 18 23:17:36 UTC 2020

Hi Steve,

I'm very glad to hear it!

| recently started my own non-exit relay from my home connection to help contribute, however in my area, the ISP has a monopoly on service and the network speeds leave much to be desired. Running an exit as an individual from a home connection is inadvisable for legal reasons based on my reading, while I imagine that exit bandwidth is an extremely precious resource (currently less than one in six relays is an exit). These two factors combined limit how much I can effectively help the network with my home server. I also run nodes for a few other anonymous networks.

I've played with the idea of setting up a VPS, but this doesn't really address my desire to help contribute exit bandwidth to Tor. I was able to find Noisetor after some searching. I didn't see any indications of life, and now here we are! Is Noisetor currently running any exits for the network, or was exit01 shut down a while ago?

I visited RunARelay.org, and it lead me to Pulse Servers. I appreciate that there is no bandwidth cap there, and I will seriously consider setting up another non-exit relay. I think the interface to the tool is very clean and is exactly the kind of resource I was looking for to see some smaller business hosting options; I suspect that it's not good for the network to have too many relays within the same datacenter or managed through the same provider.

I'm very exited to see how Noisetor develops, and I will consider becoming a donor as well as I cannot personally contribute to exit bandwidth for the network.

James