[Noisebridge-board] filing 990-N postcard for 2008; preparing 990-EZ for 2009 taxes

David Molnar dmolnar at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 14 02:38:50 UTC 2009

hey all,

I just saw the good news about 501c3 status on twitter. Congratulations,
everyone! :)
(Happy birthday, Andy!)

I'll go ahead and file our 990-N "e-postcard" for 2008 taxes. We
qualified for the e-postcard due to our income of less than $25,000
during the 2008 fiscal year, which started in October and ended 31
December.

For 2009, however, we will need to file the 990-EZ form, unless our
income exceeds $500,000. Despite the name, the form is kind of
complicated. See instructions here:
http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/pub/irs-tege/990_ezinstructions_background_091008.pdf

See the 2008 tax year 990-EZ form here:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f990ez.pdf

I suggest that we start thinking about hiring an accountant with
experience in filing 990-EZ forms. While we won't have to file for a
good while, getting set up with an accountant sooner rather than later
will lead to fewer unpleasant surprises when it comes time to file next
year. Does anyone have an accountant for nonprofits they like?
We of course should also ask the whole membership, figure out someone to
take quotes, etc.

David Molnar