[Noisebridge-board] ex libris noisebridge

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Wed Feb 10 00:39:25 UTC 2010

Andy Isaacson writes:

> On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 04:18:16PM -0800, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> > Andy Isaacson writes:
> > > Seth, can you vet the Latin?  I think we want
> > >
> > >      Ex Libris
> > >       (logo)
> > >     Noisebridge
> > >
> > > I don't really want to translate "Noisebridge" to Latin although that'd
> > > be amusing.
> >
> > I've rendered it as "Pons Strepitus" (genitive "Pontis Strepitus") but
> > that, of course, doesn't really make any sense in Latin.
>
> I'll take that as a validation of "Ex Libris Noisebridge." :)
>
> > I do feel pretty confident about our motto being "liberales inter vos
> > estote", though.
>
> 1. I'm worried that won't fit on the book seal.
> 2. How does one say "Dudes" with a California surfer accent in Latin?

I think Henry Beard liked "comites"

 a companion, an associate, comrade, partaker, sharer, partner, etc.
 (whether male or female; class. and freq.).

although we could also say "socii"

 In gen., fellow, sharer, partner, comrade, companion, associate (very
 freq. and class.; syn.: consors, particeps)

I don't know what to do about the accent, though.

Yeah, Henry Beard translated "Really rad, dude!" as "Radicitus, comes!".
(Radicitus does mean "radically" but in the literal sense of "by the
roots" or "utterly, completely".)  "Comes" here is the singular of
"comites".

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Qué empresa fácil no pensar en
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | un tigre, reflexioné.