[Noisebridge-board] Fwd: [#599470390] Non-Profit account verification

Jeffrey Malone treasurer at noisebridge.net
Wed Feb 10 08:01:04 UTC 2010

I have an appointment set for March 16 with an accountant.  Even if it
appears simple, I fully agree we should pay for someone to do this.
Those who disagree should ask if they really want to trust someone
(me) who has no experience with this, haha.
In theory, this will encompass the 990 and 199 (or whatever CA form if
not the 199).

There's no need to wait on the 8822 though, especially since there is
a decent chance google will take a copy of the 8822 with our IRS
determination letter.  It looks very simple to fill out.

Is this a secretary duty?
I also believe Ani was looking into this stuff at some point...


On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:37 PM, David Molnar <dmolnar at gmail.com> wrote:
> * That is in fact our IRS determination letter on the wiki. We will
> need to file a change of address form. I remember vaguely that there
> is somewhere to send off for a new letter once we have filed the form
> but I don't know the details. If all else fails we can contact Carol
> Gee, who handled the 501c3 process with us.
> * The 990 form is the federal government "tax return" for a nonprofit.
> Last year, we only needed to consider 2008 contributions to
> Noisebridge. Those were low enough that we needed only to file the
> "Form 990-N e-postcard." This year we will almost certainly need to
> file the form 990-EZ or maybe the form 990. I strongly suggest
> Noisebridge look into an accountant for this who has expertise in
> filing these forms.
> I also filed the state tax form (I don't recall the exact number),
> again in 2008 we only needed to file a simple form.
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> wrote:
>> Jeffrey Malone writes:
>>> Hey,
>>> So attached is an email I received from Google regarding the Google
>>> Checkout account I'd setup for Noisebridge.
>>> Ironically, it'd been setup since November, but I only just got a page
>>> for it on noisebridge.net tonight -- and announced it at the meeting,
>>> only to get this email 45min later telling me they suspended the
>>> account.
>>> I found this on the wiki:
>>> https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/File:Noisebridge-501c3-letter-p1.png
>>> https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/File:Noisebridge-501c3-letter-p2.png
>>> I believe this to be an "IRS Letter of Determination" -- however it
>>> has the wrong address.
>>> What do we need to do to correct this?
>> Their instructions about EIN say
>>  • If you change your address after you receive your EIN, you must use
>>   Form 8822, Change of Address, to notify the IRS of the new address.
>> Maybe if you file a form 8822 they would be willing to reissue the
>> determination letter?  Or maybe Google will accept the old one if
>> the 8822 is attached to it?
>> http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8822.pdf
>> Part 2 is for a business with an EIN, like ours.
>> OK, now I'm going to stop sending messages in this thread. :-)
>> --
>> Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Qué empresa fácil no pensar en
>>     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | un tigre, reflexioné.
>>     http://vitanuova.loyalty.org/     |            -- Borges, El Zahir

More information about the Board mailing list