[Noisebridge-congress] GSM cards in germany

Ben Kochie ben at nerp.net
Tue Dec 18 23:55:50 UTC 2012

I've bought cards before.  Some tips:

I've gotten SIM cards from O2 stores.  They cost 15 EUR for the card, and
usually require you put 15 EUR of cash on them to cover calls and SMS.
You can then add a data plan.

The data plans are good for a month, if you go over the cap and fall back
to edge.

The current data plans are:
3.50 EUR - 1GB @ 7.2Mbps - ONE DAY, DO NOT WANT
15.00 EUR - 1GB @ 3.6Mbps - Monthly
25.00 EUR - 5GB @ 7.2Mbps - Monthly
35.00 EUR - 7.5GB @ 14.4Mbps - Monthly

Personally, I've always gotten the cheap 15 EUR plan.

One thing I do is use google voice on my android phone, this way I can get
US SMS messages at no cost since it uses IP.  It also lets me still get US
phone calls via voicemail and phone calling via gmail UI.  However you
will want to setup a VPN tunnel back to the US for phone calling via gmail
to work.

-ben