[CQ] so, any new hams?

Mark Cohen markc at binaryfaith.com
Mon Nov 23 18:56:51 UTC 2009

It depends on where you get your exam. I'm a VE for the Sunnyvale VE group as well as ARRL and when we do tests for Sunnyvale they get their call in the DB on the Monday following the Saturday session. Gordon the VEC for Sunnyvale inputs the applicants into the FCC's database on Saturday night. Often he can even tell you what your call will be because they are entered in sequentially.

The W5YI and ARRL sessions are usually grouped up and sent after a week or two to avoid too many single entries, so they take weeks to get in.

If you upgrade from Tech to General (or Extra) you can start transmitting on HF immediately. (Technically you need to identify as your call /AG or /AE)

As for what they tell you when you take the test, they have to tell you if you pass or fail, but they don't tell you (and can't technically) how many you fail by. You will know if you did exceptionally well if they ask if you want to try for the next test up :)

/MarkC (K6EF)