[CQ] Antenna commentary

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Thu Mar 29 19:58:18 UTC 2012

Recommend both beam and vertical from SteppIR.com if you can throw money
at the problem. These devices vary their mechanical length to tune to
your operating frequency. Much nicer than the old trap way of doing
things. The beam can turn electrically 180 degrees without moving, it
just changes the length of the elements so that the directing element
becomes the reflector and vice versa.

For radials on the vertical, I recommend the Butternut/Bencher STR-II
(bencher.com), a bit neater and faster than cutting all of your own
radials, but of course you can still do that, and you probably still
have to add radials for the lowest bands to this kit.

There are many variations of towers. If you're afraid of heights, a
tilt-over one would be best, as this gives you
the opportunity to do work close to the ground. Texas Towers can do the
full engineering and installation for you, if you can throw money at the
problem.

I thought I was identifiable as a nerd from space just because of the
solar panels. They show up really well.

     Thanks

     Bruce