[CQ] Antenna commentary

Jack k6jeb at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 21:25:47 UTC 2012

Hi Adam,
For HF, I would suggest the S9 Antennas S9v43 at Universal Radio: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamants/1702.html  My fellow DXers and Contesters rage about the performance (with an antenna tuner of course . . . ideally at the base of the antenna so consider a remote tuner like the SGC line).  You will do well to put out radials, or at least mount it to a chain link fence.  I use a Butternut HF9V Vertical which is not as 'invisible' as the S943 and with 64 radials on the ground, I usually break through pileups on the low bands (I admittedly use 500 watts).

That said, even my Cushcraft A4S doesn't show up in Google Earth.

On VHF/UHF, what do you plan to do?  If you want to just chat on the local repeater(s), then a simple dual band vertical will suffice.  But if you want to work SSB/CW, contests, satellites, meteor scatter (which is a blast) Moonbounce, you will need to consider other options.  My favorite VHF/UHF (2m/70cm) antenna is available cheap and locally from Ham Radio Outlet in Oakland.  You may call ahead and ask if they have the Ed Fong dual-band J-pole in stock.  It's basically a precisely measured (using a very expensive set of gear I might add) twinlead J-pole inserted in white PVC, capped, and with an antenna connector coming out of the bottom.  They sell for around $30.  Seriously, unless you spend a LOT more on a dual-band vertical, this one will beat most of them.  I know that Ed measures each antenna, other manufacturers don't really care.  http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6376

73,
Jack, K6JEB
http://www.k6jeb.com/