[Cyborg] tron jacket tips?

Eric Boyd mrericboyd at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 21 20:02:09 UTC 2013

I went to the sewing shop yesterday, and bought up leather needle and
clear thread.  I also asked the shop keeper about it, and he told me
about 'leather double-sided tape', and sold me some.  It's apparently
designed for working with leather, and doesn't harm the leather when it
come off.  I have in fact verified this, it comes off the leather
without damaging it, though I have to say it makes an ungodly mess of
the EL wire. It does seem to be strong enough to hold the EL wire
without trouble, at least over shorter lengths - it's remarkably strong
glue.  I'm a bit worried that over longer lengths the bending of the
fabric versus the bending of the EL wire is gonna cause a lot of
problems.  There is also the issue of the exposed glue (basically what's
not behind the EL-wire), which I'm thinking of covering with some
regular clear tape, over the EL wire, providing an additional layer of
attachment.  I'm also going to experiment with using the clear thread in
places where the holes will be less visible, to provide some anchor points.

Anyone done anything like this, using glue over longer distances on
flexible materials?

I bought some EL-tape as well, but I discovered that it's basically
flexible only back and forth, and not side-to-side, plus there doesn't
seem to be any way to cut and resolder it (my attempts at this failed
miserably, inside the EL-tape is basically a paste, and I couldn't come
up with anyway to attach a conductor to it without damaging it very
quickly).  So it's really not useful for anything except straight-line
stretches, and even then it's so rigid that it doesn't move well - it's
basically not usable against fabric of any kind.  Disappointing.

Eric