[Digitalarchivists] Progress

miloh miloh at froggytoad.net
Sun May 5 22:41:26 UTC 2013

We get glass cut for Type A Machines from time to time, I'll find out
more and see if I can get this anti-reflective glass.
It would help to know what industry it is mainly used for, does anyone
on the list know?

Snippet of info about glass included below:

>From the diybookscanner github page:
https://github.com/markvdb/diybookscanner/wiki/Glass

For the http://diybookscanner.eu , you will ideally need two 280x356mm
sheets of anti-reflective low iron 3mm glass.
Hints

    Most picture framing shops will be able to get you 2mm, but that
is really too thin.
    Good anti-reflective glass lets over 98% of the incoming light get
through. Any other glass gets to about 92%, the rest being reflected.
    If the shop is offering you cheap "anti-reflective" glass, it is
most probably just anti-glare. Anti-glare glass scatters the
reflection, making the result of your scan look fuzzy. This gives you
worse results than just plain float glass, so buyer beware!
    Look at the glass sideways. If the reflection is dark green, you
probably have normal float glass in your hands. If the reflection is
blue, purplish or brown, you may have be holding a more interesting
kind of glass.
    There is anti-reflective glass with a sputtered coating on one
side, or with a "bath" coating on both sides. These double sided
coatings are a lot more scratch resistant.

-rma