[Digitalarchivists] First Book Scanner's Enter Button Gone

miloh miloh at froggytoad.net
Tue Dec 22 20:39:23 UTC 2015

Thanks for bringing this up Hiroshi,

I scanned some books last week and found this problem then, along with others.
So it happened sometime before the 17th of December.

The current list of issues with the first book scanner:

1. The platen glass is chipped at the center
2. The lower lift doesn't align well with the platen, it's slightly
rotated and still works but might take extra preprocessing.
3. The bungee cords might have aged a bit, they don't provide the same
responsiveness that I remember.  I looped them the tighten them up.
4. the aforementioned trigger button is missing

The above mechanical problems could be due to the machine getting
loose over time (bolts need aligning and adjusting), or everything
could be due to someone banging the lift, breaking parts, and getting
it out of adjustment. I looked and couldn't find the trigger button in
the bookscanning area though.

Perhaps the folks who were working on the Noisebridge library records
project know what happened? I'll ask on https://chat.noisebridge.net
(open to all), or noisebridge's deprecated slack.

Whatever, the issues can be fixed as long as we track them and know
they exist-- and hopefully, redesigns will result in a more complete
machine that doesn't run into these issues.

We still need written instructions, an onsite preflight checklist
printout that tells people how to use the machine.
I can't assume people will use the wiki, and saw the network is
normally disabled on the workstation there anyways.

Side note:
I scanned a couple thousand pages in under 3 hours at noisebridge, and
I was slow.  The shutters on the DSLRs are rated in 10^6 range -- so
about 500-1000 sessions like that one before they break. Assuming
iarchive scanners are used 5 days a week at 6000 pages a day, the
camera shutters could last as little as 3/4 of a year.  So what do
they do with the cameras with broken shutters? refurbish or throw them
out? Anyone know?

A friend engineered a solution for replacing the stock shutters with a
very long lasting solution, I'll inquire if it's available to use for
this device.

-rma