[Fab] Need recommendation on opensource G-code simulator

Hao hao at dorabot.com
Sat Jun 30 21:18:12 UTC 2012

Hi Fabricators in Noisebridge,

I'm working on making fine PCBs with table top CNC Machine right now. I
need a good opensource G-code simulator. Simulation version of LinuxCNC
would be perfect, however, I can't get it running on my 64bit Ubuntu 12.04
Precise, every time I try to run it, There pops up this Error Message
(Attached at the end of this email). I use the LinuxCNC binary here:
http://www.linuxcnc.org/lucid/dists/precise/linuxcnc2.5-sim/binary-amd64/linuxcnc-sim_2.5.0_amd64.deb
.
There are other binaries here
http://www.linuxcnc.org/lucid/dists/precise/linuxcnc2.5-sim/binary-amd64/,
I am not sure which one to choose actually.

I can use a little help on figuring out how to run linuxCNC simulation on
my laptop, or recommendation of another opensource/freeware gcode
simulator. I'm aware of trial version of Mach3, CNC simulator, and GWizard.
I just don't want use eagle-like close sourced software. Thanks folks!

--------------------LinuxCNC Error BEGINS--------------------------

Print file information:
RUN_IN_PLACE=no
LINUXCNC_DIR=
LINUXCNC_BIN_DIR=/usr/bin
LINUXCNC_TCL_DIR=/usr/lib/tcltk/linuxcnc
LINUXCNC_SCRIPT_DIR=
LINUXCNC_RTLIB_DIR=/usr/lib/linuxcnc/modules
LINUXCNC_CONFIG_DIR=
LINUXCNC_LANG_DIR=/usr/share/linuxcnc/tcl/msgs
INIVAR=inivar
HALCMD=halcmd
LINUXCNC_EMCSH=/usr/bin/wish8.5
LINUXCNC - 2.5.0
Machine configuration directory is
'/home/azureviolin/linuxcnc/configs/Sherline3Axis'
Machine configuration file is 'Sherline3Axis_mm.ini'
INIFILE=/home/azureviolin/linuxcnc/configs/Sherline3Axis/Sherline3Axis_mm.ini
PARAMETER_FILE=stepper.var
TASK=milltask
HALUI=
DISPLAY=axis
Starting LinuxCNC...
Starting LinuxCNC server program: linuxcncsvr
Starting LinuxCNC IO program: io
Shutting down and cleaning up LinuxCNC...
Killing task linuxcncsvr, PID=9877
Removing HAL_LIB, RTAPI, and Real Time OS modules
Removing NML shared memory segments
Cleanup done

Debug file information:
Can not find -sec MOT -var MOT -num 1
Can not find -sec IO -var IO -num 1
Can not find -sec LINUXCNC -var NML_FILE -num 1
Can not find -sec EMC -var NML_FILE -num 1
hal_parport: dlopen: /usr/lib/linuxcnc/modules/hal_parport.so: cannot open
standard_pinout.hal:5: /usr/bin/rtapi_app exited without becoming ready
standard_pinout.hal:5: insmod failed, returned -1
9877
  PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
Stopping realtime threads
Unloading hal components

--
DORA = DORA Opensource Robotic Assistant
dorabot.com