[Noisebridge-discuss] A potential space - the No Starch Press building (and how we can handle voting)

ryan ryan at linefeed.org
Thu Jan 17 15:57:57 UTC 2008

> Choosing to leave the group over an issue that was brought up just six
> hours ago is the most dramatic thing anyone has done. You can't expect
> You are the only person who has, as of yet, taken an action with long term
> consequences. The rest of us are going to be here, talking things out like
> adults.

The most dramatic are the accusations. Being upset after seeing this
kind of thing happen again and again isn't dramatic, it's normal.

I think that means that toya is the less naive of the group and
realizes there isn't going to be a sudden wellspring of 'talking like
adults'.

In fact, this thread is dying off as the "I've got fast internet!" thread
takes off (clearly, folks were glad to have something else to talk
about on-list that allows them to avoid the issue).

Frankly, I agree with toya that the composition of this group isn't
well-constructed enough to deal with a problem like this, and one
disruptor can barge in with their loud, obnoxious attacks and succeed
to fracture this group's beginnings.

In other words, I'll wait for the 'talking like adults' to happen but
I won't hold my breath.

My guess is that the best we'll get is some bemoaning about how the
european and latin american hacklabs 'can get their shit together, why
cant we?' or a similar rodneykingesque plea... When the answer is the
european/latin american hacklabs don't tolerate well-known internet
drama whores like "Gweedz" to disrupt things after a couple initial
meetings.

I hope this group proves me wrong ...

-ryan