[Noisebridge-discuss] meet tomorrow?

David Molnar dmolnar at eecs.berkeley.edu
Tue May 27 19:54:40 UTC 2008

Noah Balmer wrote:

> She effectively said that the
> voting members thing is possible and might work if there aren't many members
> and they all agree with each other, but, as new people get involved and
> cliques start to form, it encourages power struggles that end up taking up
> all the organization's time and eventually swamping the whole venture.  She
> suggests term limits, a clear mission statement, and a "mission first" job
> description for the directors as better ways to avoid abuse of power.

Hmm. It looks like I may not be able to make it tonight, after all. So
don't wait up for me. I still hope to make it...

So my two cents : in the short term either structure looks like it will
work. The main thing now is to make a decision so we can move forward.
There is a lot more work to do after this, like picking a bank, site
visits, landlord negotiation, etc. Doing the incorporation is important,
  because then we can have people contribute to the Noisebridge entity,
which suddenly makes the rest of the work much more concrete.

As long as whatever we pick can be amended going forward, I'd say not to
  worry too much. I don't want to downplay the importance of making a
good decision here, or the issues involved, but I don't want to spend
more time than it's worth either.

Take this for what it's worth. My time horizon is short, since I plan to
graduate in December and possibly move out of the Bay Area after that.
Would love to see Noisebridge established by then.

In any case, thanks much for reaching out to Julia about these issues.
It's great to hear from someone who has had on the ground experience
with different nonprofit organizations.

-David Molnar