[Noisebridge-discuss] On Cameras

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Tue Nov 18 00:48:30 UTC 2008

Alex Perez wrote:
> Speaking of which, have we ever considered mounting a low-lux B&W camera
> up high overlooking the alleyway? For insurance reasons, this would
> majorly cover our ass if we were ever robbed, and it may or may not
> discourage aggregate crackhead behavior in the immediate vicinity. I am
> sure someone will have an objection to this, but it's hard to argue that
> crackhead-alley is low-crime.

Yes. We have considered this. For insurance reasons, I'm unconvinced
that it would be helpful to have a camera. In addition, there are
various factions of people in Noisebridge that have strong feelings
about cameras.

I personally would prefer to not have always on cameras in the space or
in the alleyway. I don't like the kind of world that it creates.

I'd also argue that regardless of the crime status of our alley, I'm
unconvinced that a camera will have a net positive effect. It wouldn't
have stopped the lady that pissed on our door, it wouldn't have stopped
the guys selling crack down the road. However, it certainly would draw
the ire of people, specifically noisebridge members who would prefer to
be private about their affiliations, their comings and going and of
course that they're in the space at all.

Best,
Jake