[Noisebridge-discuss] key access for non-signers

Noah Balmer noahbalmer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 18:51:16 UTC 2008

> Please excuse me being a total fucking douche bag (as it's going to sound
> just like that), but mind me legitimately asking the very innocent question
> of, what have you contributed to NB?

That's a legitimate question, I don't think you're a douche bag.
I promoted noisebridge from my table at the last maker faire and sent
follow-up emails to everyone who signed up as interested.  I've put a very
significant amount of work into learning CA Public Benefit and Non-Profit
law, in order to understand what we need to do to meet our goals and comply
with the law.  I've shown up at nearly every meeting for many months, even
the not-fun-but-necessary bylaw writing sessions, and shared everything I
learned.  I solicited an offer of non-profit-management training for the
board and whoever else is interested, which I believe is still available
once we're incorporated, though it was offered long ago when we though
incorporation was right around the corner.  When we wanted to hear the
opinion of another lawyer regarding legal structure of the organization, I
met with my company's lawyer (I work at a non-profit) and reported back, and
got an offer of ongoing consultations as needed.  I showed up for space
viewings, and when I was asked I signed a lease to make sure we could hold
the place until the incorporation happened, I did so.
Not all these things are valuable to everybody, but I did, to the best of my
ability, what seemed necessary to make Noisebridge possible.

Arr... desire to be responsive and accountable to the group is competing
with requirement to do work.  If I don't write much more for a while it's
because I'm busy, not becasue I don't care.