[Noisebridge-discuss] open frameworks?

Meredith L. Patterson mlp at thesmartpolitenerd.com
Mon Sep 22 06:15:09 UTC 2008

daniela Steinsapir wrote:
> People were telling me, that openframeworks is the C++ reduction
> software as processing is to Java.

Processing is based on Java, and its syntax is very similar to Java's.
As a programming language it's distinct from Java, and if I understand
things correctly, it requires a Java runtime environment.

OpenFrameworks is a C++ library. Programs written with it are written in
C++, and are compiled with a C++ compiler such as g++.

>  I was wondering if they are the same thing or if one is more stronger
> that the other when there is media/interface projects involve? would
> memory be an issue here?
> any thoughts? How can you tell?

C++ typically has a reputation for being more memory-efficient than
Java, since Java code is run in a virtual machine. That said, modern
JVMs are pretty well-designed, and if you're not comfortable with doing
a lot of your own memory management, you may find Processing easier to
use than C++.

I've written music software in C++ before, but I also like C++ perhaps
more than is healthy. :P I haven't used OpenFrameworks or Processing
before, so unfortunately I can't comment on either of those.

--mlp