[Noisebridge-discuss] Payphone?

Asheesh Laroia noisebridge at asheesh.org
Tue Sep 30 03:57:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Jacob Appelbaum wrote:

> I'd like it to be the most insecure phone possible. Perhaps if we back
> the payphone with a software switch, we can make a phone you can phreak
> with a {blue,red}box in software or hardware?

We could go lower-tech: if you whistle anything at all, it says in a
robotic voice: FREE CALLING ENABLED.

We could surely make it higher-tech insecure and make it emulate
vulnerable-to-colored-box phone systems, but I like the idea of having a
sign in it that says:

 	WHISTLE FOR FREE CALLS

as if it's graffiti.

(Of course, it's always in free calling mode....)

> I don't really want to charge people for calls either. It should be
> possible to do this with some of the "share your line" community voip
> thingies.

I'd be happy to set up that VoIP service now that I have some Asterisk
experience.  It could even stand outside and just do WiFi to get its VoIP
packets back into The Lab, where voipcheap.com and our Asterisk setup
conspire to create free global calling.

Tarjeta THIS!

-- Asheesh.

--
Truth is hard to find and harder to obscure.