[Noisebridge-discuss] Machine Learning meetup tonight: SVMs at 8!

Josh Myer josh at joshisanerd.com
Wed Apr 29 22:28:29 UTC 2009

Tonight, we'll be building Support Vector Machines (SVMs) with
Praveen.  SVMs are a workhorse of modern text processing work, and are
great for deciding whether an object is from class A or class B (apple
or orange, hot or not, etc).

Please come prepared: you'll want a laptop!  If you're on Windows, you
might want to install putty before coming in, so you can get a shared
shell host we'll use for people who don't have access to the software
we're using on their OS.

For those of you on Linux and OS X, please try installing libsvm on
your machine:

  http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cjlin/libsvm/

(We might also use mySVM,
http://www-ai.cs.uni-dortmund.de/SOFTWARE/MYSVM/index.html but I'm not
entirely sure...)

I'll have everything set up on an EC2 instance for the evening, for
anyone who doesn't manage to get things set up ahead of time.

Hope to see you all there!
--
Josh Myer   650.248.3796
  josh at joshisanerd.com