[Noisebridge-discuss] Meeting Optimization

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 00:29:05 UTC 2009

Uh... you describe how the process is pretty much set up to work as it is...
Although there are a lot of folks who are opposed to doing things online.  I
think it's important to accommodate them.  I also think it's useless to just
go through robot mode with a meeting.  I would consider someone just reading
things at me to be a waste of my time.

I'm also opposed to hard cutoffs.  But I think a good moderator would ask to
take a discussion amongst a few people offline, to be brought up again once
it's hashed out at the next meeting, so as not to subject everyone to those
complicated discussions.  I don't think formal rhetorical discussions have
any place as part of the consensus process.  It's not like we're *voting* on
things.

Christie

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 5:22 PM, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:

> +1 for the sentiment.
>
>   can we improve integrating the wiki with the
> meeting?
>   e.g. agenda for the coming meeting is posted
> on the wiki. the evening's meeting runner is
> mostly in robot mode and figures time allotments
> for topics and enforces cut-offs (hopefully
> zealots will have previously organized).
>   no decision is made at a meeting that
> introduces an issue.
>   for any issue, a page exists on the wiki and
> the community, if it's smart and wants to do
> things other than listen and talk, promotes the
> use of the wiki, maybe even requires it, to
> flush and flesh out the issue.
>   all objections must be recorded on the wiki;
> the issue reaches decision after all objections
> are satisfactorily met per wiki discussion.
>   at the following meeting the issue discussion
> is, hopefully, a formality (and therefore brief):
> "objections are not yet met, next topic" or "it
> seems all objections are met, are there any last-
> minute new points?".
>   if so, continue the issue for more
> wiki-wrangling, if not, decide: cherished brevity
> in either case.
>

> On Wed, 2009-04-08 at 16:23 -0700, Al Billings wrote:
> > I know I always seem to be posting to bitch lately. Sorry about that
> > but...
> >
> > After the last Tuesday meeting I attended and some of the marathon
> > sessions that I heard about following weeks, I've actually avoided
> > coming to Tuesday meetings.
> >
> > Time is a precious commodity. I think that is the case for everyone
> > but I find is especially true for me. When I know ahead of times that
> > meetings are largely going to be two or more hours of anarchist
> > consensus decision making, I decide that I'd rather spend my time
> > reading a book or working on projects at home.
> >
> > So, any calls to set time limits or to control the madness will be met
> > with my hearty approval.

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
obliteration.
- Bene Gesserit Litany