[Noisebridge-discuss] How can I circumvent the schtoopid upload file format restrictions?!? (Re: PIR sensor docs)

Jesse Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 23:33:07 UTC 2009

Hi Christoph,

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Christoph Maier
<cm.hardware.software.elsewhere at gmail.com> wrote:
> It would be really, really, REALLY, REALLY!!!! nice if someone could get
> rid of the inane restriction on file types, as shown in:
> https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Special:Upload
> <inane file type restriction that excludes even plain ASCII text>

If you want plain text on a wiki page, you can do this by pasting in
your text file between HTML "pre" tags.  E.g.

<pre>
* Z:\data\LTC\LTspiceIV\schematics\noisebridge\PIR_review_001.asc
XU102a inp inn dd 0 out1 TLC272
Vdd dd 0 5
</pre>

Permitted file extensions may be added by the MediaWiki administrator
in LocalSettings.php.  I believe the reason this is restricted out of
the box is because the wiki is not meant to be a file hosting
repository.  You will notice that generally the filetypes permitted
are images and sounds, which are meant to enhance wiki articles.  Even
if the administrator allows .txt or any other filetype, you will still
run into hard limits on maximum filesize which AFAIK cannot be worked
around.  When I was administering an internal wiki at work, I also
provided an FTP server where people could upload their files, and then
link to them from the wiki.