[Noisebridge-discuss] How can I circumvent the schtoopid upload file format restrictions?!? (Re: PIR sensor docs)

Christoph Maier cm.hardware.software.elsewhere at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 00:06:20 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 16:33 -0700, Jesse Zbikowski wrote:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Christoph Maier
> <cm.hardware.software.elsewhere at gmail.com> wrote:
> > It would be really, really, REALLY, REALLY!!!! nice if someone could get
> > rid of the inane restriction on file types, as shown in:
> > https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Special:Upload
> > <inane file type restriction that excludes even plain ASCII text>
>
> If you want plain text on a wiki page, you can do this by pasting in
> your text file between HTML "pre" tags.  E.g.
>
> <pre>
> * Z:\data\LTC\LTspiceIV\schematics\noisebridge\PIR_review_001.asc
> XU102a inp inn dd 0 out1 TLC272
> Vdd dd 0 5
> </pre>
>
> Permitted file extensions may be added by the MediaWiki administrator
> in LocalSettings.php.  I believe the reason this is restricted out of
> the box is because the wiki is not meant to be a file hosting
> repository.  You will notice that generally the filetypes permitted
> are images and sounds, which are meant to enhance wiki articles.  Even
> if the administrator allows .txt or any other filetype, you will still
> run into hard limits on maximum filesize which AFAIK cannot be worked
> around.  When I was administering an internal wiki at work, I also
> provided an FTP server where people could upload their files, and then
> link to them from the wiki.

Hi Jesse,

as a workaround, I wrapped all the ASCII files into
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Image:PIR_review_001.doc
which should be quite easy to extract for someone who has already played
with LTspice.
But thanks for the <pre> hint. Next time (well, or maybe right now, just
for practice), I'll dump the text into a wiki page.

Thanks,
Christoph