[Noisebridge-discuss] How can I circumvent the schtoopid uploadfile format restrictions?!? (Re: PIR sensor docs)

Lee Sonko lee at lee.org
Sun Apr 19 23:47:30 UTC 2009

>It would be really, really, REALLY, REALLY!!!! nice if someone could get
rid of the
>inane restriction on file types, as shown in:
>https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Special:Upload

I dunno who the wiki master is but if they put this in the
LocalSettings.php, all file type restrictions would be lifted.

$wgStrictFileExtensions = false;
$wgCheckFileExtensions = false;

This will have wiki safety implications.

Or you can approve file types one at a time
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Configuring_file_uploads#Upload_permiss
ions

 This brings up the issue of the openness of the wiki. I run a few wikis and
found the only real way to keep bad people away is to personally dole out
logins :-(.   It's the relentless spammers. Once they find a wiki, no amount
of spam proofing technology will stop them without constant vigilence and
effort.