[Noisebridge-discuss] Re: Club Mate shipment

Joachim Pedersen joachimp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 07:28:25 UTC 2009

a preface, I've spent several months working in various distribution
warehouses in Denmark. Though I'm no expert by any means,  I have
dealt with receiving/unloading/loading domestic/international
container shipments.

Some info on pallets:
A standard Euro Pallet is 800x1200mm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pallet#European_pallets

And shipping containers:
a 20 foot container "TEU" fits about 11 standard europallets
a 40 foot container "FEU" fits about 23-24 ----||------
http://www.oocl.com/eng/ourservices/containers/stuffingplan.htm

It would be good to know if these are full height pallets, or half
height. I'm assuming full height. Sometime dense/unstable things, like
bottles of liquid, are palletized at half height. This makes the
warehouse operation less prone to *accidents.*  These can sometimes be
double stacked once loaded into the container. See toppled full height
pallet of shot glasses that I had to clean(not fun, not my fault) up
last summer:
http://joachimp.fotki.com/aboutme/phoneimages/20080703001.html
http://joachimp.fotki.com/aboutme/phoneimages/20080703.html
http://joachimp.fotki.com/aboutme/phoneimages/20080703002.html

I figure at 20 bottles per carton * 40 cartons per pallet is 800
bottles of CM per pallet.
And which gives 8,800 bottles per TEU, or 18,400-19,200FEU. Double
that if the pallets can be double stacked(ie. if they are half
height). As said before, weight shouldn't be an issue

Anyways, I'm getting at, is a conservative estimate of shipping per
bottle is more like 33cents. And we most definately don't want to get
more than will fit in the container.

Oh, and if we really want to get this in time for Toorcamp we should
get moving on this ASAP
 http://www.searates.com/container/transit/
*Estimates* 26 days on the high seas for Hamburg to Oakland with Hamburg SUD.

-Joachim