[Noisebridge-discuss] Electrical team

Quinn Norton quinn at quinnnorton.com
Mon Aug 10 00:54:15 UTC 2009

On Aug 9, 2009, at 7:22 PM, jim wrote:

>   well, it's consensus, and i'm certainly not
> going to block the means to making creme brule.
>
>   y'all might consider that the space seems to
> have no gas. gas is the best for burners, better
> than halogen, despite the sales claims.
>   electric ovens, so i hear, are better than
> gas ovens--more consistent heat or some such.
>   consider propane cooktop, we could use the
> propane for other things (it melts some metals).
> jim

I really think the significance is overrated. I have cooked on
electric, propane camp stove, gas, open fire, inductive, college dorm
burners, and so on. You learn your equipment and make it work. (Though
those college hot plates do kind of suck, I admit. Still, you can make
it work with practice.)

Electric ovens do have some benefits over gas, but you can even out
gas oven temp with buck-25 terra cotta paving tiles. There are in fact
tiles in the NB oven when I bought and placed there, just to make the
baking easier.

In short if I have anything that even vaguely resembles an oven, I
will try to bake in it.