[Noisebridge-discuss] Cat ladder / elevator

Sai Emrys noisebridge at saizai.com
Mon Aug 24 04:19:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 8:23 PM, Kayobi<kayobi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Apparently cat ladders are a worldwide phenomena!

Quite. Did you see the blog link in my OP?

On Sun, Aug 23, 2009 at 6:53 PM, David Yao <kudegra+nb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can you convince a friend with a car to help? Grab some 2x4s and screws,
> then just do a solid ramp? or Zipcar, or HomeDepot hourly truck rental.

Sure, if needed.

> Alternatively, for materials transportable on the moto, make a miniature
> rope bridge to the fence as you suggest. Maybe using mini chain or thin
> steel cable and crimps, and small planks of wood or even long bin lids. I
> have a feeling you'll need something to counter-act the tension on the fence
> and window, so as to avoid sagging the fence over time or damaging the
> window casing.

Hmm. That's pretty similar to something I thought of a while ago and
forgot about - just hanging canvas between two wires w/ hooks and
occasional spreader bars. (Encasing the edges like in the sides of
flags - just wrapped around the wire and sewn.)

The nice thing about canvas is that it's continuous but easily
gripped, and easier for me to work with than planks.

I didn't think of the tension thing - do you really think that'd
affect the fence / window? It's probably only ~50 lb total weight max.

One nice thing about your idea (and the vertical hanging ramps one) is
that they pack up well; that's something I forgot to mention but is a
criterion. Technically having a cat is against my lease; my immediate
landlords are fine with it (which is legal protection via "estoppel",
but still a pain if it's ever called on) but the conglomerate above
them isn't, so I might need to take it down quickly someday.

- Sai