[Noisebridge-discuss] Looking to start a non-profit CLEC to serve rural southern-peninsula customers

alex at alexperez.com alex at alexperez.com
Tue Dec 8 19:46:43 UTC 2009

Hi folks,

Any unemployed or underemployed systems/network geeks in the south bay?

I'm a long-time lurker, was at the first "official" Noisebridge meeting
but never after that. I now live outside of Cupertino, on the edge of the
Coastal Range, in a very rural canyon, which, amusingly, is less than five
as-the-bird-flies miles from Apple Corporate HQ (I don't work for them),
but a world away, otherwise. There is no cable system or mobile phone
coverage of any sort within the canyon.

There is $7+ Billion available under the American Recovery and
Reinvestment Act (ARRA) for grants related to Rural Broadband initiatives.

I helped run a 1200-subscriber dialup ISP in the far North Bay a decade+
ago, and would like to find a person or two who might be interested in
some sort of experimental venture.

I would like to be able to ultimately create a job or two (or more?) out
of the venture. I work full-time as a systems administrator here in
Cupertino, for a small start-up, and would prefer to collaborate with
someone who has more time and an interest in seeing that communities AT&T
won't serve because their investment would outstrip whatever profits make
out of the deal.

If this sounds of interest to anyone, please let me know. If I can make
this successful in this small case, I would like to entertain doing so
elsewhere in underserved parts of the bay area.