[Noisebridge-discuss] Heating without electricity + watt/hour meter

Kevin Warnock kevin at warnock.com
Tue Dec 8 20:29:28 UTC 2009

This is my first post to this discussion group. I'm not a member, but I've
visited about a dozen times so far.

I have been reading about the electric bill issues. I have a watt-hour meter
I could let the Noisebridge borrow for a while, so the lights could be
tested. The meter will calculate the price to run the lights as well,
because you can program the electricity rate into it.

Separately, has any thought been given to installing a wood pellet stove for
heat? The pellets are much less costly per btu than electric heat
produced... I think half or a third as much. The pellets can be ordered by
the truck load, and since there is a freight elevator, they can be brought
up to the third floor. Another advantage is that the rate per pound goes
down when you buy more, not up like with electricity, at least that's the
way residential electricity works... not sure about commercial electricity.
 A single pellet stove will heat the entire Noisebridge to a toasty
temperature if desired, and would only have to be filled every few days I
think. I think the flu can exit through a wall. I have no personal
experience with pellet stoves, but I do have experience with wood stoves,
and they produce a LOT of heat... I would guess the heat of 20+ electric
space heaters when they are burning a full load of wood.

The pellets are about 1/2' long and a 1/4" in diameter.

Hope this helps.

--
Kevin Warnock
(415) 661-5600