[Noisebridge-discuss] Heating without electricity + watt/hour meter

Shannon Lee shannon at scatter.com
Tue Dec 8 20:50:45 UTC 2009

Hey,

There was some discussion about having propane heat, specifically so that we
can get people who want heat to fund heat on a very atomic level.  We have
been leaning against it because of fire hazards; specifically, we have an
extensive sprinkler system, so even a small fire problem can turn into a
huge water problem.

I just see a huge potential problem with random fire in noisebridge.

--S

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Kevin Warnock <kevin at warnock.com> wrote:

> This is my first post to this discussion group. I'm not a member, but I've
> visited about a dozen times so far.
>
> I have been reading about the electric bill issues. I have a watt-hour
> meter I could let the Noisebridge borrow for a while, so the lights could be
> tested. The meter will calculate the price to run the lights as well,
> because you can program the electricity rate into it.
>
> Separately, has any thought been given to installing a wood pellet stove
> for heat? The pellets are much less costly per btu than electric heat
> produced... I think half or a third as much. The pellets can be ordered by
> the truck load, and since there is a freight elevator, they can be brought
> up to the third floor. Another advantage is that the rate per pound goes
> down when you buy more, not up like with electricity, at least that's the
> way residential electricity works... not sure about commercial electricity.
>  A single pellet stove will heat the entire Noisebridge to a toasty
> temperature if desired, and would only have to be filled every few days I
> think. I think the flu can exit through a wall. I have no personal
> experience with pellet stoves, but I do have experience with wood stoves,
> and they produce a LOT of heat... I would guess the heat of 20+ electric
> space heaters when they are burning a full load of wood.
>
> The pellets are about 1/2' long and a 1/4" in diameter.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> Kevin Warnock
> (415) 661-5600