[Noisebridge-discuss] "Wikileaks is overloaded by global interest"

Christie Dudley longobord at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 02:38:37 UTC 2009

So this is probably a message we're getting because (as they tweeted 12
hours ago) they're still down because of maintenance work by their upstream
provider.  However, when looking over the page, I was noticing that they're
soliciting help from the community.  Something specifically caught my eye:

"If you can provide rackspace, power and an uplink, or a dedicated server or
storage space, for at least 12 months, or software development work for
WikiLeaks, please write to wl-supporters at sunshinepress.org"

It strikes me that Noisebridge has such resources at our disposal.  I think
it would be particularly awesome to help out this organization in achieving
their important mission.  They assure potential volunteers that "Servers
come trouble-free and legally fortified, software is uniquely challenging.",
so concerns about liability are pretty much addressed.

(Although that page needs some serious proofreading, particularly in the
listing of their sponsors, it would be really really awesome to get our name
up there too.)

What are the people who manage the donated space, etc. think of this?  Would
we want to get a software group to see if we can help with that end of
things too?

Christie
_______
Getting to the bottom of the hill is convenient. The view from the top of
the hill is stunning. Where would you choose to live?